Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Neighbourhood surgeries - how can mine be improved?

This just feels like it could be better.

So I call to make an appointment at the surgery this morning and am told all morning slots are gone. So what about afternoon slots then?
Well, new slots are released at 2.30pm and you you can't book till then. This is after spending about 15 minutes in an automated telephone queue. Did I tell you that I hate them? What is the guarantee that I will be allotted a spot if I call in at 2.30pm? What if everyone also wants to call in at the same time? Sounds like a lottery arrangement. On a health service. BAD.

In the end I think an automated service should be put in place. I also think surgeries firstly should operate like normal businesses. What do the folks at the big golden arches do when loads of customers consistently walk through the door at an outlet? They scale up the site by hiring new hands and when this doesn't help they open a new one nearby. What has my friendly neighbourhood surgery done? They have resorted to handing out a 0844 number along with instituting an appointment lottery scheme. BAD.

In the end of the day, the lady on the other end of the line offers to have a doctor phone in some advice sometime in the day. She has made a judgement call that the condition doesn't warrant my being bothered to see a doctor. I am grateful for the offer but there is something faintly worrying about some lady at the other end of the phone deciding over the state of a surgery client's health (or access they get) without the proper experience. Might I add without the training for it. BAD.

Three strikes!

Enough ranting for one morning. I just thought I'd let it all out.

Be well.


UPDATE: They have called me back with an appointment. Result! That usually helps but I can't help thinking that some other guy might have been unlucky this time.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay here goes my own story, having successfully and may i add painfully navigated the first phase (of getting an appointment with the doc), i needed to book an appointment with the X-ray unit and that is when shall i say it got interesting.

Me: = Myself
Surgery:= 'Lady on the other end' :)

Me: Ring! Ring!! Hello i will like to book an appointment with........

Surgery: Whats your Name, Dob, ...?

Me: My Names, Dob, Address details...

Surgery: I'm afraid your form has not arrived yet, do you mind calling back later in the afternoon.
Me: Yea sure that is fine, i will.

Me: Ring! Ring!! (same day afternoon)
Surgery: Same set of question and answer session then we are sorry your form still has not arrived....

Surgery: When did you see your doctor? (irrelevant question)
Me: 24 hours ago.

Surgery: Please can you phone in tomorrow instead?
Me: Sure no worries, i will.

Tomorrow came and i was on the phone again.

Me: Ring! Ring!! I will like to book.......
Surgery: Name, Dob, Address (again!)
Me: Provided details as requested

Surgery: Yes Mr Odu, your form has arrived but needs to be signed-off by a doc before an appointment can be confirmed? Can you call before COB today so that can be done?
Me: Yea sure i will do just that.

So i thought this time i will give them 24hours and everything should be fine by then.So the following day

Me: Ring! Ring!!
Surgery: Same old questions again then wait for this, it gets really interesting.

Surgery: Sorry Mr Odu, your form has not arrived yet from your GP...

If you have been following to this point then the next question should be WHAT?

So just so we are referring to the same Mr Odu here not (Oduh) with an 'h' :)

I gave her my details again and narrated my entire experience so far with them (twice)........

Surgery: Okay Mr Odu, just hold on a sec let me pass you over to my colleague....

Surgery (this is the colleague now) : Hello how can i help?

Me: Help? Did i hear her right? No i must be featuring in someone else's dream.

Surgery: Name, Dob , Address Details
Me: After providing the details as requested for the umpteenth time....and explaining what i have been through so far with them (yet again)

Surgery: Hello Mr Odu, yes we do have your form with us and it has been signed, hold on a sec i can confirm a date for you....

Me: Anger, frustration, rage......
Surgery: It will be April 1st, 2011 then Mr Odu.

Me: Thank you very much. I am most impressed and maybe i should go and jump into the Solent just because you got me an appointment. Okay the last sentence was more in my head only.:)

Wait did she say April 1st, 2011? Ahem now that is beginning to worry me....:)

FA

LHFVille said...

Dude,

I am glad I didn't have to go through your scenario but it is one which is familiar to me. I have been there with a number of 'service providers' and am unsure that the experience qualifies to be refers to as receiving a service.


Now playing: spotify:track:5MLW8jzgAdr5pJxPl1qIMS